Native iOS development
Quality assurance testing
User experience testing
The old workflow required an inspector to manually write checklists on paper while in the field inspecting a site. Inspectors would also photograph deviations with cameras or mobile phones.
By placing the Excel sheets and photos in specific folders, they would use Excel macros written by own staff to export the data to a report. Only one member of staff would know how to use and tweak the macros due to its complexity.
All in all a cumbersome process for the existing employees and a barrier of entry for new employees. A lack of proper report versioning was apparent.
For the management the workflow didn’t give the sufficient intelligence and insight into the work conducted.
Also, the staff would manually have to account for the correct report and deviation versioning, making it possibly less pleasant for management on future audits.
Purpose & Scope
After the initial consultation the following goals were identified.
- Digitize the field work for inspectors by providing them with a native mobile app.
- Let inspectors complete the full job in the field with no need for post-field work.
- Automatic report generation and versioning.
- Automatic report and deviation numbering for compliance with internal process and audit obligations.
- Making all unintuitive “system know-how” and manual post field work processes redundant including Excel macros.
- Let administrators and employees have a clean platform for managing clients, sites, standards and deviation classifications.
- Structured backbone and data APIs enabling future platform extensions and business opportunities.
- Improved insight and statistics for management
Since inspectors often find themselves inside installations where network connection is limited, offline support secures predictable access to necessary data and that information is synchronized and securely stored in the cloud as soon as the inspectors are back online.
Business rules are taken care of under the hood so that new employees will get faster up to speed. Risks have been mitigated and audit is no longer an inconvenience. The management has now better overview and insight.